The History of The E. C. Tecktonius Manufacturing Company
The E. C. Tecktonius Manufacturing Company is a corporation,
established in 1891 and incorporated in 1904, with office and
factory buildings at 1224 Thirteenth street, and 1231-1233
Washington avenue, Racine, Wisconsin.
This company, like all other enterprises that have stood the test,
was established in a small way in the rear of the residence of E. C.
Tecktonius, and by his careful management has made possible a
fastener for connecting or joining the two ends of a band on
anything circular. This simple device is now in use throughout the
entire United States and Canada, and many shipments have been made
into foreign countries. This fastener is used exclusively by tank
and silo manufacturers, also by tile, brick, and terra cotta
manufacturers, railroads, and on trunk sewer lines.
The name "Tecktonius" is synonymous with this article and many
specifications of the United States government, wherein this device
is used, specify "Tecktonius" fasteners.
Since May, 1915, they have added to their line silo hardware, making
it possible for every lumber dealer throughout the United States
(54,000 of them in number), to sell silos to farmers with the same
ease as they would sell a bill of lumber for a barn or house. The
silo business, when summed up properly, is nothing more than lumber
and hardware assembled, and with the E. C. Tecktonius Manufacturing
Company's method it is possible for any lumber dealer to engage in
the sale of silos without a dollar of investment, saving the farmer,
in turn, from fifty dollars to one hundred dollars on a silo that he
would otherwise he obliged to pay if purchased from a silo
manufacturer by reason of such manufacturer's selling and overhead
Source: Racine, Belle City of the lakes, and
Racine County, Wisconsin : a record of settlement, organization,
progress and achievement; Chicago: S. J. Clarke Pub. Co., 1916, 1216